I'd like to use this question to help coordinate the publicity of GFH during beta.
We need everyone to help where you can. The goal is to get the word out to as many different people as possible about this site. I'm not going to give you specific wording, because it's best if everybody provides their own short personal message of what they want to say.
A few examples to follow:
Press release - use your own version of this as an announcement to send to societies or groups.
Blog post - use your own version of this for newsgroups or your own blog.
Never use the same wording. That way they index uniquely on Google and people will run into them with different searches. Make it personal, you to them.
Everybody: please post to your own blog if you have a blog genealogists follow, and into your social account streams if you network with other genealogists. The key metric is that if you don't think at least 20 genealogists will see your post, then don't bother.
Places to Contact: We want to you to contact any societies, newsgroups and genealogy bloggers that you know and work with and that know you. Ask them to pass the information about GFH to their members or readers. Make the message personal to them, and they'll very likely be happy to pass it on.
We shouldn't spam societies, groups, newsgroups, or the internet in general, so we should coordinate the sending so only one person contacts each one. We should contact them once now. If you think another nudge is worthwhile, then contact them once more in about 2 months just before the end of the beta.
In order to coordinate this, please edit this post and add the places that have been contacted to the list below. If they post something, a link to it would be nice.
Thanks. Together, we're creating a great thing for genealogists.
Genealogy blogs contacted
- GeneaPress, Oct 22, lkessler
- Genea-Musings by Randy Seaver, Oct 22, lkessler
- Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter by Dick Eastman, Oct 22, lkessler
- PollyBlog by Polly Kimmitt, Oct 24, duncan, Polly has not posted anything yet
- Geneabloggers by Thomas MacEntee, Nov 3, lkessler
- GenealogyToday by Illya D'addezio, Nov 10, lkessler, Illya has not posted anything yet
- The Huffington Post - Megan Smolenyak, Nov 10, lkessler, Megan has not posted anything yet
- Family Stories by Carolyn Pointer, Nov 10, lkessler, Carolyn has not posted anything yet
- Dear Myrtle, Nov 10, lkessler, Myrt has not posted anything yet
- Linkedin - Genealogical & Historical Research (5,726 members), Oct 27, Jeni
- Linkedin - Family History Detective (293 members), Oct 27, Jeni
- Linkedin - Genealogy...Beyond the brick walls! (609 members), Oct 27, Jeni
- Francis Cooke Society, Oct 24, duncan, nothing posted at website
- 3rd Unlock The Past Genealogy Cruise, Feb 10-19, 2013, louis to publicize
- Who Do You Think You Are, London England, Feb 22-24, 2013, need a volunteer to lead publicity
- RootsTech 2013, Mar 21-23, 2013, need a volunteer to lead publicity
See also: Q&A “pushes” around Who Do You Think You Are Live and RootsTech