The Weekly Topic Challenge enters its seventh week and this week's challenge is:
What about tutorials on old scripts / old handwriting?
Use this challenge to pull out those hard to read Wills, Letters and other documents, and post questions about the words or groups of words that you are struggling to read and understand the meaning of.
A picture cropped from your document(s) will definitely be needed for this challenge!
Note: Please do not ask for transcriptions of whole documents.
Also, feel free to post questions about palaeography in general like Is there a transcription standard that separates unclear words from added words?
Looking back, examples of questions we are looking for this week are:
- What is the Russian town in this census listing?
- Determining what old document with Illegible handwriting says?
- Can anyone decipher the comment above Louis' name on this 1940 census record?
- Help needed reading a place of birth in an 1871 census record from Glamorgan, Wales
- Old German script. What is the wife's name in this 1837 baptismal ledger from Stark County, Ohio?
- Meaning of “dofhoadayne” in 1648 Will of William Noake from Longburton, Dorset, England?
We will use a tag of palaeography for these questions coupled with their asking date so that we know they have been submitted as part of the challenge.
Next week, on 5 Dec, I will tally up the results to see how we did.