I've recently been on the lookout for a new pro-tem moderator for Genealogy. Unfortunately, I've had a bit of trouble finding an enthusiastic, dedicated individual to take part in some community building. So, I am turning to meta.
A bit about the job, and what we're looking for:
Much like the community leaders in a small town who ensure that roads get fixed, trees get planted, and trash gets removed, each Stack Exchange site needs a team of three moderators who see to it that the site is able to continue to be a productive resource.
Ideal candidates should:
- Want the responsibility, and have at least a few hours each week to give on average
- Be consistently patient and fair in their dealings with the community
- Be knowledgeable enough about the topic to be able to judge the quality of posts, and identify cleverly crafted spam
- Be ready to lead the community to help you do your jobs. Teach people how to flag properly, encourage a culture of editors and strong reviewers
- Work directly with me and the rest of the SE community team to make sure this community is getting its needs met from us
- Understand and embrace our theory of moderation
Are you interested? Great! Send me an email at ana at stackexchangedotcom to indicate your desire to be considered. While I will consider third-party nominations, I'd rather see nominations from folks enthused enough to step in and write something down.
I aim to have someone appointed in a week's time, so don't hesitate to jump in.
UPDATE: Many thanks to the excellent people who came forward. Keep your eyes peeled, we'll have a new third mod on Genealogy very soon.