Ireland and UK
Member for 8 years, 11 months
Independent researcher and writer
Graduated in physics but entered computing in late 1970's. Software architect since 1987. Born in Nottingham but currently working from rural Ireland.
Worked in areas of language compilers and associated tools (creating 3 proprietary language systems), computer architecture and operating system development, OLAP databases (registering 2 US patents), cross-platform portability, business intelligence, encryption, workflow, multi-tier distributed servers, locale systems and globalisation.
Entered genealogy in about 2004. Still heavily researching the history of all branches of my family (i.e. many different surnames). Working independently on a research project for a universal source format for micro-history data (STEMMA, http://parallaxview.co/stemma). Former Vice Chair and Acting Chair of FHISO (http://fhiso.org/). Blog: http://parallax-viewpoint.blogspot.com/
Still researching fundamental physics and writing on the nature of time and reality. In particular on the reconciliation of quantum mechanics and reality with a block universe.
Top network posts
- 21 How far from the direct descendant line is regarded as no longer a relative?
- 20 What to do with discarded research data?
- 18 Facilitators for Adoption
- 17 Passing on our data
- 17 What can be gained by paying for a subscription website such as Ancestry?
- 16 What are the key features in genealogical software that will help me future proof my research?
- 15 How should I distinguish siblings named identically?
- View more network posts →