Discussion Inspired by my post and some of the comments referencing this other discussion on whether Photo Requests should be allowed here in this forum and if they are how do we keep them on topic and also realizing they may stay unanswered for a very long extended period of time.
I am having trouble seeing how this forum and its format would be appropriate for these but I think it is at least something to flush out and I am open to it if others agree and could see some value.
My initial thoughts, if they are to be for this forum, are the following to keep the requests on-topic to Genealogy:
- Photo Request must be for a Image containing or possibly containing the individual, place, or vessel.
- The request should be clear that it serves a genealogical purpose and not just a picture of place.
- The request should not (or should it?) state the name of a possibly living individual, but can reference them via relationship (i.e. Grandfather) unless it is accompanied by a newspaper or other public article referencing the event or photo.
- The request should contain a specific timeframe, general location, context.
- Photos requested must be at least 25 years old (~1989 prior) which is approximately one generation and not be a famous person request unless directly related.
- Photos of places that do not contain individual that are canidate relatives must be relevant to genealogical events (i.e. Ships, Hospitals, Churches); *?Photos of places worked unless owned or lived in by the family out of scope of discussion?
I have some real examples (not listed below) I could use based on the guidelines we flush out but here is some examples for starters.
I am looking for a photo of my dad in High School from 1995.
I am looking for a photo of Johnny Appleseed from 1938 in Nashville, TN.
I am looking for a photo of the Red River High School football team from 1973 in Grand Forks, North Dakota which I believe my father played on.
I am looking for photos from the event, in particular the winners, of the 1938 Sterling, IL Midget Car Racing series (With attached articles mentioning them) which my great grandfather and my grandfather's brother participated.