For the past three hours or so, I have been unable to log in to G&FH.SE and to the Weekly Genealogy Chat. Now that I've finally been able to log in to G&FH.SE itself, I wanted to document as much as I could remember before I forget it all.
Here's a rough timeline of the symptoms, what I tried, etc.
- Could not log in to G&FH.SE or chat. Error message from Firefox said that the server at "The server at genealogy.stackexchange.com is taking too long to respond."
- I have the Firefox Extension StackAlert 0.24 installed. This displays a big shiny button in my toolbar with a number that refers to how many messages I have in my inbox. I had two messages from ColeValleyGirl from the weekly chat. Clicking on this button allowed me to get to the chat transcript. I could read it, and navigate to the previous day, with no issues.
- A Google search for some recent questions allowed me to read the Q/As and to find some other Qs from both G&FH.SE and other SE sites.
- I emailed @ColeValleyGirl via the FHUG website.
- At 11:35 I also emailed one of the SE community managers whose email I had in my Google contacts.
- I attempted to upvote one of the answers on the Linguistics.SE beta and SE prompted me to create an account. I was able to successfully create a new account and upvote the answer. At that time I was still not able to log in to G&FH.SE.
- Tested other SE sites. Could switch to History.SE, Android Enthusiasts.SE, via drop down menu. Still couldn't log into G&FH.SE.
- Stumbled onto the page to Log in to Chat.
- Followed the advice to visit the GlobalAuth test & help page.
- Tests 1-4 are okay -- Test 5: Communication with stackauth.com – failed
- After running the test several times over, was finally able to log into G&FH.SE. Still don't know why.
- Attempted to follow the suggestion to post on meta.stackexchange.com to post a question. Read several articles that SE suggested to me, many of which didn't seem to apply to my situation. For instance:
Current status: Firefox now passes all five tests on the help page, including the communication with the stackauth.com. But I can't log into the Weekly Genealogy Chat. I get the message bar that I must be logged into chat, and when I click it, I get sent to the Global Chat login page. That doesn't seem to log me in -- it just sits there with the indicator spinning. When I get tired of waiting, and choose the the Weekly Genealogy Chat from the list of available rooms, I'm back to the page with the black bar that says I must be logged in to chat.
Clicking that link (in must be logged in to chat) sends me back to the Global login page for chat that never seems to complete and let me log in. Same problem with Roots. I don't see any chat rooms for the other sites where I'm currently a member, so I haven't tested any further.
As of 4:18 PM Pacific time:
I ran the tests at the Login Help page and all five passed:
All necessary browser features are enabled and functioning for network-wide automatic login. Please follow these steps:
Followed these instructions:
- Log in to a StackExchange site of your choice.
- If you are already logged in there, log out first and then log in again.
- Return to chat.stackexchange.com; logging in should now work.
But it doesn't. Despite being logged in to G&FH.SE I still get the black notification bar in the Weekly Genealogy Chat telling me I need to log in, and chat.stackexchange.com doesn't recognize that I am logged in.
And the StackAlert extension is no longer giving me a notification on my inbox items.
Edited once more to add: I logged out of G&FH.SE, logged out of Google, closed Firefox, opened Firefox again -- and now I can log into chat. The StackAlert Extension is not working, and gave me an error message about a key and a token, before reverting to showing me the earlier messages from @ColeValleyGirl but not the recent comments to this Q by @PolyGeo. (4:28 PM)